Well we have started! Let's keep this short and sweet...we would rather be riding, and you would rather not be falling asleep in your bowl of cornflakes!!!
It feels like we have been bike touring now for ages..funny it's only a week!
- 7 days in, 5 days riding, with 2 rest days...
- Whistler to Pemberton (Owl Creek) to Seton Portage (via the Highline road) to Lilloet (via a bike carrying caboose) to Pavillion Lake to Juniper Beach to Kamloops
- 285kms, 4,124m of ascent (that's riding uphill!)
- all days over 35 degrees, a couple over 40! Sweltering! Shane said Canada doesn't get hot!
- 2 rattlesnakes
- 0 bears
- 3 nights camping with no tent, under the stars - amazing you must do this once in your life!
- Extremes of scenery... Whistler was forests and glaciers, we have spent the last few days in what felt like the Mexican desert!
-1 toys out of the cot. Richelle may or may not have declared "I'd rather be at work than doing this any day!" Gulp - will never live that down! Though to be fair, it was the 20km mark of the 23km Highline climb, up a dusty dirt road, no shade, 38 degrees, so steep that all we could do was push our bikes up - with Shane being the gentleman and pushing his up each section, then coming down to get mine. It was so steep I was shuffling up backwards!
- 1 self confessed "crazy dog man" who offered to drive our panniers into town....lifesaver when we had 7km of the Highline to go! Even better he left em at the pub (and didn't nick em!)
- 1 new bike touring mate Mark, who shared a campsite with us, his hummus and many an insight into bike touring from a seasoned veteran.
- kms means nothing. 60k of flat and mostly down can take 3hrs, 60k of up can take 9hrs!!
- Tim Hortons "Tim's bits" are delicious! Donut holes for the uninitiated!
Just had a lovely day in Kamloops, fixing and servicing bikes, hanging out at the laundromat and supermarket shopping, oh and making new friends in the motel breakfast room, Mike and Ivana from Switzerland, as they drive down to Argentina (myartoftravel.ch)- good luck guys!
Off tomorrow for the 4-5 day ride to Revelstoke...
I am an ultra runner, Mountain biker, Climber, Ironman, Endurance Athlete