Its very simple to make, and for something so delicious, doesn’t take that long to prepare. Theres no oven cooking, though allow an hour for the base to set in the fridge, and 20-25 mins for preparing the lemon curd.
Equipment you will need:
Ideally you will need a springform pan (thats one of those pie pans with the removable base). It makes it so much easier to remove from the pan, and allows you to maintain a restaurant quality appearance! Though you will see from the pics that I used I silicone pie dish, and that worked pretty well too, as you could peel it off!
You will also need a heatproof bowl, I just use a glass bowl, as you will need to make the lemon curd in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.
Finally, you will also need a food processor, or similar electric chopping device to process the biscuits into crumbs!
- 185g Marie or Nice biscuits,
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 90g butter, melted
- Pure icing sugar, to serve
- 3 lemons (finely grated rind from 1 lemon, juice of all 3 lemons)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar (if you want it super tart, decrease this amount to taste)
- 125g butter, chopped
- Lightly grease a 2cm-deep, 24cm (base) springform pan (dont stress if yours is bit bigger or smaller, it will still work!).
- Process your biscuits into a fine crumb. Add nutmeg, cinnamon and melted butter, and mix (or process) until combined
- Press into base and sides of prepared pan. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Make lemon curd: Whisk eggs and sugar together in a heatproof bowl until well combined.
- Add lemon rind and lemon juice, whisking constantly until well combined.
- Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not allow base to touch water). Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 20 to 25 minutes or until thick and custard-like. Do not allow to boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter.
- Pour lemon curd into chilled tart case. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or as long as you have – Ive made this by setting it for just 2hrs!). Dust with icing sugar and serve.
- For best results cut with a hot knife, and serve with cream or ice cream.