Heres something I threw together last night, and it came out AMAZING! Thought Id better write it down before I forgot what I did! Would be rude not to share!
Super quick and easy, just throw in what you want. Prob took me about 15 mins prep time.
- 500g steak, roughly diced ((the cheaper the cut the better)
- ½ 1/2 cup plain flour
- Ground pepper (i used pepper steak seasoning)
- Salt (I used chicken salt)
- 2 tsp gravox
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 3/4 cup water
- Generous dash wostershire sauce
- Packet French onion soup mix (home brand rocks!)
- 2 tbs gravox
- Bout 5 good squirts of BBQ sauce
- Few shakes chilli powder
- Few tablespoons flour or cornflour (to thicken)
- 10-12 button mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2-3 Carrots, roughly chopped
- Handful green beans
- Handful fresh parsley
- 2-3 Potatoes, roughly chopped (optional)
- Any other veggies you like!
- Combine about half a cup of plain flour with ground pepper, chicken salt and approx 2 tsp of gravox in a large zip lock freezer bag.
- Add cubed meat to the seasoning in the freezer bag, and shake to coat thoroughly.
- Sear beef quickly in oil in a heavy frying pan to seal in the juices. Just seal the meat, Do NOT cook it through.
- Place meat in a medium to large slow cooker
- Lightly fry the leek in the same frypan with the same olive oil, and add to slow cooker
- Combine red wine, water, wostershire sauce, French onion soup mix, additional gravox, bbq sauce, chilli powder and additional flour in the same frypan over low heat till thickened. Stir well to break down the flour (although really, the lumps don’t matter, they disappear in the cooking!) Add more or less of each ingredient as per your taste. Sauce should have some thickness, but easily stirred. Add more water if required. Add sauce to slow cooker.
- Add veggies to slow cooker. Stir to coat all ingredients. Cook on low for 7-8hrs.
- Approx 30 mins prior to serving, check the thickness of your stew. If you want to thicken it, add 1-2 tbs of cornflour, stir through, and allow 30 mins to thicken.
- Serve on its own, or on a bed of mashed potato, or cauliflower mash